Since a month or so ago I inherited responsibility for small network administration for my sins. The domain controller (yes there is only one, and yes I know it is best practice to have two even in a small domain setup) went down overnight and I have been trying all day to get it back up and running. Unfortunately this machine also administers our entire Active Directory setup:
- It goes through the BIOS without any errors, nothing whatsoever
- It gets into the “select safe mode, safe mode with networking, normal” etc and if you select either of the safe mode options it loads a few files then reboots. If you select normal it just runs for a bit (doesn’t get to the windows splash screen) and then reboots again.
- If you select windows repair, it asks for an image to repair too: however it would appear that none was taken that can be used (!!) or one is not being shown.
- I have tried repairing the boot sector and the boot configuration using
bootrec.exe, both which it says were completed successfully but still it doesn’t work.
- I have tried swapping the drives into another server to rule out hardware and that didn’t work either so clearly it’s the OS.
- I have tried running
chkdskwhich ran fine, and also memory check which was also fine.
We do have another machine on the network that was installed as a DC so when we decommission the current infrastructure but when I try and "promote" this to the lead DC then I get “you cannot modify domain or trust information because a PDC emulator cannot be contacted" so I am unable to replicate the Active Directory details.