Server is working perfectly but when I do RDC screen is only black. This happened before and I fixed it by powering off the server via KVM/IP, but I don't want do that again. How can I fix this issue.
OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Web Edition SP1
Here is how to work around the issue. All the above else failed for me.
I am using Windows 7 home Edition.
Before Connecting To RDP,
Click the link with the words "Remote desktop Connection" Link. Ensure you click the link with these words, not the actual URL or saved RDP name.
When the RDP window opens up, click the Options button at the bottom.
Change to Display properties by clicking the Display Tab.
On the Display Configuration Panel, Change the Screen Resolution slightly each time before clicking Connect.
This will ensure your black screen stays away.
Next time it crops up, there is a specific KB article about this issue.
While logon into a remote server by using remote desktop, the following issues may occur:
- A slow logon process.
- A black screen appear for a while, until the regular desktop appear.
- Disable the use of "Bitmap Caching" on the RDP client.
- Verity that the server, client and the network equipment using the "MTU" size.
Found this article it list quite alot of possible reasons and their solutions regarding this issue, I was able to fix my issue with by enabling sessions limits as described in the article. http://www.grishbi.com/2015/01/rdp-black-screen/
There is also another KB article with a patch for Windows Server 2008 R2.
I installed this patch to solve the issue.
When a user session is disconnected, the black screen showed up occasionnaly on reconnection.
I had a similar issue remoting into a desktop running Windows 10. The desktop had 2 monitors, one plugged into the on-board graphics and one in a dedicated graphics card. Unplugging the monitor that was using the on-board graphics fixed the issue... presumably something in one of the drivers isn't playing nicely.
UAC. UAC is the problem. That bullshit, yes. In my case the first login was successful and working, but any other consecutive attempt was not working. I was getting either a flickering(unusable) or completely black screen, on RDP or directly on the console of the 2012 R2 server. In the Application eventlogs there were lots of errors with eventID 1000(Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54503a3a Faulting module name: unknown). UAC was disabled. I just enabled it, reboot the server, and then I was able to log in with multiple working sessions. I even disabled back UAC and reboot the server again and things were working normally. Beware of UAC :)