What is the plus sign at the end of the permissions telling me?

ls -l
total 4
drwxrwxrwx+ 2 benson avahi-autoipd 4096 Jan 27 17:37 docs

Here's the context:

cat /etc/issue
\CentOS release 5.3 (Final)
Kernel \r on an \m

2 Answers 2


It means your file has extended permissions called ACLs.

You have to run getfacl <file> to see the full permissions.

See Access Control Lists for more details.


via man page 'ls'

"If the file or directory has extended security information, the permissions field printed by the -l option is followed by a '+' character."

This generally means the file is encumbered with access restrictions outside of the traditional Unix permissions - likely Access Control List (ACL).

  • 2
    "encumbered with access restrictions" - does that mean that a file or directory without a + has less restrictions? Mar 22, 2016 at 22:00
  • 10
    @squarecandy : No, the + can remove restrictions (so add permissions). For example, in the current Ubuntu default, when you plug in an external drive, it gets mounted in /media/{yourusername}/, but the permissions on /media/{yourusername} are drwxr-x---+ and the owner and group are both root, so you'd expect nobody besides root to be able to do anything with anything in there. But the ACL says user:{yourusername}:r-x, so in fact you do have access (but none of the other users do). Sep 26, 2017 at 5:34
  • 5
    FYI, strangely on Debian's man ls page (GNU coreutils 8.26) it doesn't mention that usage of +, but info coreutils ls does
    – Xen2050
    Oct 29, 2018 at 12:58
  • What can it mean "not generally"? :) I do not have the acl package installed, can it be acl nonetheless or is there something else this could indicate?
    – Felix
    Oct 13, 2021 at 6:01
  • The ls man page from coreutils 8.30 in RHEL 8.3 does not contain the string "extended".
    – RonJohn
    Feb 18 at 20:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.