My google-fu must be sucking. i havent been able to find a good solution for the following:
- numerous Linux server on commodity hardware
- Trying to do a recovery mirror copy to external harddrives
- External harddrives are smaller than source harddrives, but larger than data
- External drives are connected via usb2 (slow)
- Servers range from 20GB of data to 400GB of data
- Servers are remote, so hands on access is a pain
- need to copy boot files.
- empty external drives currently
Basicly, looking for a way to do use a ghosting solution from INSIDE a running linux server to an external harddrive, without booting a cd etc. the rsync/cpio solutions i've looked at dont work great with grub/dev/proc etc.
I understand that since the system isnt offline, it wont be a "mirror" image as files change, but thats ok.
Are there any free/commercial products that would work?