We just got a brand new HP DL370 G6 server with 14 X 146 gb and 2 X 300 gb sas drives.
Inside we got 3 raid controllers (one HP DL370, one HP P410 and one HP P812).
It has 2 disk bays and each of them is full. There are 4 cables that come out of them and go into the controllers. And i've connected them to the P410 and P812 array controllers.
The server will be used as the central server for our ERP.
I want to do the raid arrays like this:
- 1 X raid 1 from 2 small hdds (operating system)
- 1 x raid 1 from 2 small hdds (tempdb)
- 1 x raid 10 from 4 small hdds (database files)
- 1 x raid 10 from 4 small hdds (database logs - on another controller from the one above)
- 1 x raid 1 from 2 large hdds (backups, etc).
I want to have 2 hotspares (one for each controller, except the big drives raid).
My question is: can I assign some drives as hot spare from one controller to be a hot spare even for the other controller? Or as a global hot spare for all the controllers?