I am currently looking up servers on hosting companies. I have finally chosen 2 reliable and tested companies, but their specs vary.
Company one (dedicated server):
- CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Dual Core
- RAM: 6 GB DDR2 HDD and RAID: 2 x 750
- GB SATA II (Software RAID 1)
Company 2 (VPS server)
- CPU: Intel Xeon Quad Core Harpertown,
- 12MB cache RAM: 8.0GB ECC HDD and
- RAID: 45GB, Hardware Raid 10
The price for these 2 machines is exactly the same. Although 45 GB are enough for my needs at this time, I am seriously considering the first option because it's fully dedicated and closer to my location (so, faster transfer times), but I am uncertain how much of an impact the software raid might have on the overall system performance on high traffic, as I have absolutely no experience.