I'm interested in making a transition from a finance career to one in IT, most likely sysadmin with a focus on network security although that may change as I get my feet wet.
I have some light VBA programming experience (I realize VBA is not considered a "true" programming language) and have been teaching myself a bit about scripting through the Headfirst Programming and Java books.
My knowledge of Operating Systems is nonexistent but I love to learn. I have above average intelligence and fairly pronounced geek-like tendencies.
Specifically I'm hoping for guidance on the following:
- Is it possible to make the transition to IT without a comp sci or IT degree?
- If so, what type of entry level job would put me on the correct path toward an eventual sysadmin or network admin type career?
- What certifications would I need to get started (if a second degree is not mandatory?)
- Which operating system should I start with to have the best chance of getting hired?
- How long should I expect it to take to study for and pass the cert exam(s) assuming I am starting as a complete n00b.
Thanks in advance!