Apt-get update errors
I have been searching for hours to try and bring an end to these errors.
sudo apt-get update W: Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_universe_source_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
I burnt several CD's, verified them, used the install cd to check for memory issues, and even calculated the md5 of my download.
All of the usual suspects checked out.
I have done previous installs using this disk and they where running fine. Connected at the same location is another (i386) box that is able to run apt-get just fine. I have looked around and tried a myriad of different methods to clear the lists or change the source by I am nearly sure it's a local issue.
The box in question is a Dell Inspirion 530 with two attached nics. Sorry for not including more details but am not sure what log to dump or what info is useable but will upon any request to do so.
In response to suggestions that symptoms might be a result of downloading issue (I would have to agree) I have run the following tests.
steven@DellServer:~$ ping us.archive.ubuntu.com PING us.archive.ubuntu.com (188.8.131.52) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from lithium.canonical.com (184.108.40.206): icmp_req=1 ttl=47 time=157 ms
It is resolving and can reach the host. I flushed the lists.
steven@DellServer:~$ sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/* steven@DellServer:~$ sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
And tried again. I got similar errors for multiple lists.
bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing. W: Failed to fetch gzip: ... Hash Sum mismatch
I even put the box on my secondary ISP's line. Same result. I also checked and there is no file in
/etc/apt/atp.conf.d/01proxy and I haven't set the environment variable for any proxy.
Downloading a package list manually with
wget and decompressing
bzip2 failed, returning the same bzip error. Using
gzip on the .gz also failed. I
sftp'd the .bz2 that the server had downloaded onto my where it also failed.
I downloaded it from the archive onto my workstation and I was able to decompress it. Same for the .gz. The problem must lie in the download but I am puzzled how this could be seeing as both my workstation and my server are on the same connection to my ISP and it's networking seems to be functioning well.
Since the interface in question is a PCI NIC I have decided to reinstall with them out and use the integrated NIC.
following nik's logic I removed the nic and used the integrated interface and I am no longer having problems except for the useless nic I wanted to use.