Resetting the RDS master user's password is simple enough, but how do you find your master users username?
The master username is now listed in the RDS Dashboard.
- Select the "Instances" listing and expand the DB instance.
- Press the looking glass tab on the left.
- The master username is listed in the left column.
Hope this helps!
With the new updated RDS UI, the username is present in the Details section of the Instance Information screen.
- From the List of your running Instances, click an instance name to see information about the instance.
- See the "Details" section of the information screen.
scroll down in that screen to see the "Details" section.
Here is the command that you can use to get the master username of your RDS:
aws --profile=prod rds describe-db-instances --region us-east-1 --db-instance-identifier YOUR-RDS-IDENTIFIER-HERE --query 'DBInstances[*].MasterUsername'
Note: Replace the
prod with your aws profile and
YOUR-RDS-IDENTIFIER-HERE with your rds instance identifier
It will give you the master username like this:
[ "root" ]
Hope that might help future reader.
I do not know how to directly find the aws admin username in 2019 AWS, however, you can see it in a snapshot. Just follow:
Main RDS console > Snapshots > A snapshot of your database > Details > Master username