I have a virtual directory in my site (test environment). It is a UNC share which is also used as a public FTP.
It is configured to connect as a domain admin account and "Test settings" says everything appears to be working. However when I try to connect to it I get:
500 - "Failed to start monitoring changes on \INTRANET\FTP\test\web.config because access was denied"
This is an ASP.NET YSOD. I am not sure why ASP.NET is getting involved at all as it's a static .jpg file I'm requesting.
I tried turning on failed request tracing and this is the specific error:
- ModuleName WindowsAuthentication
- Notification 2
- HttpStatus 500
- HttpReason Internal Server Error
- HttpSubStatus 0
- ErrorCode 0
- Notification AUTHENTICATE_REQUEST
- ErrorCode The operation completed successfully. (0x0)
If I change the "Physical Path Logon Type" from ClearText to Network. I get the following IIS error:
HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server
Error The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.
Detailed Error Information
- Module IIS Web Core
- Notification BeginRequest
- Handler Not yet determined
- Error Code
- Config Error Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions
- Config File
Logon Method Not yet determined
- Logon User Not yet determined
- Failed Request Tracing Log Directory
This does not generate a failed request log strangely enough—I have set the failed request tracing to trace errors with error codes 400-999.
Also worth noting is that if I open the Configuration feature from within IIS, I see an access denied error.
I have exactly the same set up on my local dev machine to the same UNC path and the same user it works. Just on the test server it does not.
What am I doing wrong?