Is there anywhere that can provide a template for a server change request document?
closed as off-topic by HopelessN00b Jan 22 '15 at 7:24
This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:
- "Requests for product, service, or learning material recommendations are off-topic because they attract low quality, opinionated and spam answers, and the answers become obsolete quickly. Instead, describe the business problem you are working on, the research you have done, and the steps taken so far to solve it." – HopelessN00b
locked by HopelessN00b Jan 22 '15 at 7:24
This question exists because it has historical significance, but it is not considered a good, on-topic question for this site so please do not use it as evidence that you can ask similar questions here. This question and its answers are frozen and cannot be changed. See the help center for guidance on writing a good question.
Read more about locked posts here.
Most of these that I've run into have depended a lot on the change-control process of the company in question. Approvals needed, details required, and suchlike all change from company to company. However, a good change-request form should have:
- A description of what will be changed
- A description of how this will affect functionality
- Details about what testing has been done to verify this change is safe
- Details about how to back out the change once it's in place (if possible)
- Whatever documentation your approvals process requires
Somewhat more optional details:
- Description of what conditions will trigger a backout
- Details about why this change is needed
- A risk-assessment surrounding doing this change versus not doing this change