In our building, the demarc is on the complete opposite side from the network closet. So, the T1 is extended from the demarc with a CAT5E cable that runs across the building to the network closet and terminates at a RJ48X jack. From the RJ48X there is a thin, flat, network(? not labeled) cable that is run to the T1 modem/router.

We're switching to Comcast. Comcast installed the modem at the demarc. So, now I have to run from the modem all the way across the building with CAT5E. My question is, can I use the extender that is currently running from the T1 demarc to the RJ48X jack in the network closet to extend the cable modem?


I don't see why you couldn't. Just snip it off and put on an end or a jack of your own.

  • Agreed. Just make sure that both ends are terminated identically. – joeqwerty Sep 21 '11 at 17:42
  • And make sure the two transmit wires are on a twisted pair and the two receive wires on a twisted pair. Wiring 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, and so on typically won't do this. – David Schwartz Sep 21 '11 at 17:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.