We had HP DL360G4p with Windows 2008 R2 which was broken a few days ago. I setup VM on ESX4 because we don't have extra same hardware and recover from WindowsServerBackup image. The recovery looks okay, but it shows BSOD with Stop error 0x0000007b on boot.
Googling around the web, it looks like the issue on driver of HP SmartArray 6i but I'm not sure how to solve this. I did renaming driver file, HpSAMD.sys to other so that I will not be loaded at startup, change the registry for HpSAMD service to disable (Start:0->4), but all doesn't fix so far.
I understand it's not supported scenario to use WindowsServerBackup image, but it's difficult to get the same HW only for recovering and I really appreciate any help to solve this. I'm wondering why R2 doesn't work while it have been possible before R2...
-- found solution! --
- Launch recovery mode. (You'll see option after leaving it fail to boot then reboot automatically)
- Select Keyboard, enter password as needed.
- Launch Command Prompt.
- Run regedit.
- Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then select File/Load Hive from Menu.
- Navigate to :\Windows\System32\Config\SYSTEM, name it as 'HKLM', for example. is typically D:.
- find key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet001/Services/LSI_SAS (my VM is configured as LSILogic SAS mode)
- Change Start to 0
- Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HKLM, then select File/Unload Hive from Menu.