Possible Duplicate:
Can you help me with my software licensing question?

Our existing setup has 3 servers running on Windows Server 2008 and there are 75 users in the office. We have a total of 80 Windows Server 2008 user CALs for this.

We will be getting two new servers tomorrow and they will be loaded with Windows Server 2008 R2. Now, for compliance purpose, do we need to buy new Windows Server 2008 R2 user CALs for the existing users or the aforementioned Windows Server 2008 user CALs is good enough?

marked as duplicate by MDMarra, Shane Madden, Evan Anderson, Jim B, squillman Jan 13 '12 at 17:55

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


There have been no new CALs for Windows Server 2008 R2, the "old" ones can be used for accessing R2.

The R2 License Guide explicitly states:

Q: Can I use a Windows Server 2008 CAL to access a license for Windows Server 2008 R2?
A: Yes, a Windows Server 2008 CAL can be used to access Windows Server 2008 R2

the only exception is the "Remote Desktp Services CAL" which is nothing but a rename - it is equivalent to the previously available "Terminal Services CAL" for Windows Server 2008.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.