I am using VMplayer on Windows 7 and 2008 R2. Inside the guest OS, in VMware tools, there is a "Prepare to shrink" option on the "Shrink" tab. In the host VMplayer menu there is "Defragment" and "Compact" options (available when the VM is shut down). VMplayer documentation says you should also defragment using an OS based defragment tool within the guest and outside the VM in the host. That leaves five operations:
- defragment within the VM using OS defragmenter.
- shrink within the VM using VMtools
- defragment outside the VM in the host using OS defragmenter
- defragment in the host using VMplayer settings menu.
- compact in the host using VMplayer settings menu.
My question is this. Which of these operations are required and in exactly what order should they be performed?