I am setting up a new server which I intend to host multiple Ruby on Rails applications on.
The server is running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and I have set the Apache virtual hosts up so each application has it's own sites-available configuration file (pointing at the Rails public directory). I have then made a symbolic link from
sites-enabled/(CONFIG FILE HERE) to
sites-available/(CONFIG FILE HERE).
root@HAH-UBUNTU-GER /etc/apache2/sites-available # ls default default-ssl application1.com application2.com
Sites Enabled (Symbolic links)
root@HAH-UBUNTU-GER /etc/apache2/sites-enabled # ls 000-default application1.com application2.com
More information on the symbolic links:
root@HAH-UBUNTU-GER /etc/apache2/sites-enabled # ls -l total 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2012-05-04 11:41 000-default -> ../sites-available/default lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2012-05-04 12:28 application1.com -> ../sites-available/application1.com lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2012-05-04 12:09 application2.com -> ../sites-available/application2.com
I have uploaded all of the Rails application files to
/var/www/vhosts/application1.com and made sure the Apache configuration file is pointed at the public directory.
Bundler, ruby gems etc. works but I can't get Passenger to load the application.
As usual, I have set the server up using a bash script which contains the following section which relates to the Passenger installation:
# Install and setup the Apache Passenger Module yes '' | sudo /usr/local/bin/passenger-install-apache2-module # Add the Passenger config to /etc/apache2/httpd.conf sudo cat > /etc/apache2/httpd.conf << HTTPD_CONF LoadModule passenger_module /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger- 3.0.11/ext/apache2/mod_passenger.so PassengerRoot /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-3.0.11 PassengerRuby /usr/local/bin/ruby HTTPD_CONF
The full virtual host configuration file for application1.com is:
<VirtualHost *:80> ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost ServerName application1.com DocumentRoot /var/www/vhosts/application1.com/public <Directory /> Options FollowSymLinks AllowOverride None </Directory> <Directory /var/www/vhosts/application1.com/public> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews AllowOverride None Order allow,deny allow from all </Directory> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin"> AllowOverride None Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch Order allow,deny Allow from all </Directory> ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log # Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit, # alert, emerg. LogLevel warn CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/" <Directory "/usr/share/doc/"> Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks AllowOverride None Order deny,allow Deny from all
If it makes a difference, I am accessing the website by editing my hosts file to point the server IP address at the individual domains.
When I visit the domain I get a listing of the public directory:
I assume I am doing something blindingly obviously wrong but I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
For more information the full bash script I use is here: https://raw.github.com/deanperry/onelineserver/master/ruby192.sh
Loaded Modules: core_module (static) log_config_module (static) logio_module (static) mpm_prefork_module (static) http_module (static) so_module (static) alias_module (shared) auth_basic_module (shared) authn_file_module (shared) authz_default_module (shared) authz_groupfile_module (shared) authz_host_module (shared) authz_user_module (shared) autoindex_module (shared) cgi_module (shared) deflate_module (shared) dir_module (shared) env_module (shared) mime_module (shared) negotiation_module (shared) php5_module (shared) reqtimeout_module (shared) setenvif_module (shared) status_module (shared) Syntax OK