I've got a Redmine instance (Bitnami Stack) that's unusually slow. Because I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this, I have some theories which I'd like to discuss here. So, if anybody has any ideas about this, please feel free to help :-)
Bitnami Stack with Redmine 1.4.x upgraded to Bitnami Stack with Redmine 2.1.0 like this:
- mysqldump'd the old database
- installed new Bitnami Stack with Redmine 2.1.0
- imported the dump cleanly with recreating all tables
- rake db:migrate and all that
The stack is running on a Virtual Machine with OpenSUSE 12.1. The resources shouldn't be a problem, as there are always multiple gigabytes of free RAM and CPU spikes on Redmine requests go only up to 50% of 2 CPU cores. Also, there are only a few users accessing it.
What may be totally important: User login is handled via LDAP (ActiveDirectory).
On each request, Redmine reacts unusually slow. Sometimes it takes 3 seconds, sometimes even up to 10 seconds to deliver the page.
- I don't know if "On-the-fly user creation" is checked in Redmine's LDAP settings, I can only check this one later today. But could the lack of a check here be a problem? Authentication takes a moment when logging in that's normal and acknowledged. But when not creating the user on the fly, does it keep a session only or does it re-authenticate on each request, so that could be the problem?
- Is Redmine 2.x maybe so much slower than 1.4.x that it's just plain normal?
- Is Bitnami's Apache2+Passenger config faulty?
- MySQL indexes wouldn't be a problem given the fact that MySQL is very calm on the CPU, would it?
One more thing that seems very odd to me, but maybe a false measurement result (need to re-check this tomorrow when I see the machine):
I tried to check if it's a network problem (network reacting slow, maybe DNS or something; server is in the local network). It seemed like requests on localhost (Browser directly on the OpenSUSE VM) were fast, but requests over the network weren't. Usually, I would think of a network problem, but the strange thing is: When actually measuring connect times, the network is fast as hell. Ping is good, static delivery times too. It seemed like only Redmine-side calculated pages are slowly sent by the application server while Apache's still fast - but only when the request is a remote LAN request. Very strange … but as I mentioned above, I have to re-check this one. It just seems illogical to me.