All servers in my project are running multiple instances of tomcat. I personally feel this setup would cause a JVM overhead. Is there any advantage of running multiple instances of tomcat over using virtual host feature?
If all applications are stable there is no win in having multiple tomcats.
If not some pros (for multiple tomcats):
- You can kill the JVMs with OS-means, and hit only one application
- More security separation is possible, if each tomcat runs with a different account
- You can have different Tomcat-versions on the same server
- You can have different Java-versions for each Tomcat.
- You have to take care that the init-scripts (or services, if running on Win) do not influence each other
- You have to patch each Tomcat on its own
- You have to administer each Tomcat on its own
- Possible more memory overhead (depends on the OS)