I have two users that changed their last names months ago. Recently, I was troubleshooting why they weren't showing up in Global Address List. The reason was their ADSI property for "Mail" still had their old alias. I poked around in a couple other fields, but am pretty sure I set everything back correctly (minus that Mail field, and I think a field with the name "legacy" in it).
By the way, since I've started working here the procedure for name changes are to create a whole new AD and Exchange user, and exporting/importing data and .PST files, so we don't run into stuff like this. I'm treating that as a last resort for these users.
Since then, whenever other users try to email these people from Outlook, they get an undeliverable message like so:
Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists: Barbara NewLastName The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator. _____ Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Diagnostic information for administrators: Generating server: mail.MyDomain.com IMCEAEX-_O=MyDomain_OU=First+20Administrative+20Group_cn=Recipients_cn=bOldLastName@nbutexas.com #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ## Original message headers: Received: from mail.MyDomain.com ([192.168.200.3]) by mail ([192.168.200.3]) with mapi; Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:56:14 -0500 Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat" Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary From: Sarah Sender <sSender@MyDomain.com> To: Barbara NewLastName <IMCEAEX-_O=MYDOMAIN_OU=First+20Administrative+20Group_cn=Recipients_cn=bOldLastName@MyDomain.com> CC: Daniel SomeoneElse <dSomeoneElse@nbutexas.com> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:56:13 -0500 Subject: FW: The Subject Thread-Topic: The Subject Thread-Index: Ac4cTWKfaQjD6MaWTUOOIrrWlcn91AAAdmEwAIhri+A= Message-ID: <3A90EE12812EA74ABCAF358A8B0C4264040724A0EA@proteus> References: <9D20B4044BFABF4795E9EC58CE31F09601373BDC@N9EX03BE02.neptune9.com> In-Reply-To: <9D20B4044BFABF4795E9EC58CE31F09601373BDC@N9EX03BE02.neptune9.com> Accept-Language: en-US Content-Language: en-US X-MS-Has-Attach: yes X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: <3A90EE12812EA74ABCAF358A8B0C4264040724A0EA@proteus> MIME-Version: 1.0
Notice the old name still shows up at one point in that error message.
Here's the real kicker: If the sender sends through OWA it goes through fine. If I take the sender's Outlook off, then back on Cached Exchange Mode, AND I delete old auto-fill entries for the trouble recipients, then it fixes the problem for them.
The problem is that it's impractical to go around the company and do that to 230+ people's Outlooks. I'm wondering what's still happening on the server to make this issue occur.
I've used the cmdlet that updates the Offline Address Book, and that obviously hasn't worked. Issue has been going on for 4 or 5 days now.