I'm in the process of decommissioning an old 2003 server, which acts as a file server, and am just attempting a dry-run of migrating the file repository over to a new Windows Storage Server 2012 box. I'm using robocopy to copy over the files, and currently just doing some test runs to see how long it takes, before we make the final change over.
The first time I ran robocopy I supplied the following switches: Options : . /S /E /COPYALL /PURGE /MIR /MT:128 /R:100000 /W:30 It ran fine (although I wouldn't recommend the /r and /w switches as it'll take forever to complete!) The second time I ran it with the following switches (the destination directory already contained a copy of the source destination from the first time I ran it, /MIR will ensure it's updated): Options : . /S /E /COPYALL /PURGE /MIR /MT:128 /R:0 /W:0
This caused the server to hang about 5 minutes after the job started. It completely hung and I had to manually power cycle it to restart it. The logs aren't giving me a huge indication of what went wrong - thoughts were that /mt:128 had caused issues, but I supplied that switch the first time and that was fine.
The second time I change a couple of switches to /r:0 and /w:0 although I wouldn't imagine that they would cause it to hang.
Finally is the fact that I've chosen /MIR problematic as the destination has already been copied over from the source once before - I wouldn't have thought so though as I thought the only potential downside of mirroring was that it would delete files in the destination which are no longer in the source. If anyone could shed any light on what went wrong it'll ensure that it doesn't go wrong next time I try it out.
EDIT: the switches I mentioned above are taken from the robocopy log file, and in a sense they are an interpretation of the switches I specified, which were: /MIR /COPY:DATSOU /MT:128 /R /W
2nd Edit: The server in question has a dual NIC, teamed using Windows Server in-built NIC teaming. I feel this is important information, which I did not share when I originally posted the question. Would like to investigate this. The NIC in question is a Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection. The NIC Team is 'Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver'.