As I understand whatever sources I could find, this combination should work fine ... but whenever I test part of the network, it never manages to establish a connection.
I've tried hooking up the fiber converters directly with a 3m cable, and it works fine. But when I hook it up to even our shortest fiber run (approx 5m (!)), it doesn't work again...
- We rely primarily on using fiber-converters, as they are cheaper to replace when they fail.
- The 1000BASE-SX'es I've been trying with are TrendNet TFC-1000MSC's (the title currently says 1000BASE-FX, but the specs (and chassis) says SX).
- The buildings are part of Danish heritage, so we're not allowed to change so much. They installed the network by putting it in the same places as the power mainline - hence the fiber...
I have a few theories about why this is:
- I've missed something (RTFM &c.)
- Our plugs doesn't support 1000BASE-SX.
- I bought the wrong hardware.