I'm relatively new to Debian and still learning a lot of things.
This said, I would like to make what is probably a really novice question: how do I manually add e-mail accounts and how can I give them a storage limit?
I ask this because I'm trying to design a management panel ala CPanel or DirectAdmin but in a server where every shell access or system command is disabled. So far, I've found that (correct me if I'm wrong, please):
- A domain is a user group
- Every user added under a given group belongs to this domain
- Every user account is an FTP account per se (it's, as far as I understand, user-based)
So, as far as I need to deploy a basic website with an FTP access to upload content, I have to create a domain with a user and voilà! I just have to create a folder inside the domain user's home, link it in a
VirtualHost definition, enable it with with
a2ensite and that's about it... (at least, at a very basic level).
But how do I add an e-mail account? My experience with e-mail servers is virtually zero. I still have to learn how to effectively deploy all the needed packages (so far, exim4 and dovecot looks like a good choice) but I would like to have this well understood.
So here's my questions about e-mail accounts:
- Is an e-mail account the same as an FTP account (as in being a regular user account)?
- If it is, does it mean email@example.com is, in fact, user julio belonging to the dummy1 group?
- How do I manually setup the storage quota for a given e-mail account?
I know... these are really basic concepts, and I still have to read LOTS of manuals out there but, at least, I would like to get it right about this.
Can you give me a hint?