This is a silly question but what is the "official" term for what is carrying this hard drive?

I need to know if I can purchase it separately from the hard drive.

enter image description here

  • 8
    It's called a carrier, sled or tray. – joeqwerty Feb 21 '14 at 18:55

This is known as a hot-plug "drive carrier" or sometimes "drive sled", "tray" or "caddy"...

And yes, they can be purchased separately from the drive. There are companies that specialize in providing aftermarket or replacement drive caddies. Ebay is also a popular source.

What type of server or enclosure is that carrier from?

  • 3
    I'd also go for "hard disk caddy". – tombull89 Feb 21 '14 at 18:55
  • @ewwhite it's for a Unitrends Recovery Archive "server". The drive is just a 3TB Seagate. I need a few more and Unitrends charges a premium, want to see if I can cobble it together myself but I can't find anything comparable. The sled has activity indicator lights on the front. – Tom Feb 21 '14 at 19:02
  • 5
    @Tom Chances are that the carrier is just a generic Supermicro drive tray. They're ready available. – ewwhite Feb 21 '14 at 19:06
  • 1
    Yeah, here is an exact match to the sled I need, now if I could only find somewhere online to buy them...came up blank at Supermicro's site, sending an email: serversdirect.com/Image%20Library/Navigation%20Category/… – Tom Feb 21 '14 at 19:18
  • See if you can find a part number on the tray, that's the easiest to find some in stock. Based off this page from Supermicro, you may even be able to find one that is similar but compatible with your chassis if you know that as well. – Thebluefish Feb 21 '14 at 22:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.