Zonefiles and Nameservers
As I registered the domain with Hetzner, nic.at (the austrian domain registry) lists the following nameservers (all the ones of Hetzner):
Nameserver (Hostname) 1: ns.second-ns.com
Nameserver (Hostname) 2: ns1.your-server.de
Nameserver (Hostname) 3: ns3.second-ns.de
Zonefile at Hetzner
The zonefile at Hetzner now looks like the following:
$TTL 7200 @ IN SOA ns5.kasserver.com. office.earechnung.at. ( 2014030300 ; serial 14400 ; refresh 1800 ; retry 604800 ; expire 86400 ) ; minimum @ IN NS ns6.kasserver.com. @ IN NS ns5.kasserver.com. @ IN A 220.127.116.11 mail IN A 18.104.22.168 www IN A 22.214.171.124 w3 IN A 126.96.36.199 ftp IN CNAME www imap IN CNAME mail pop IN CNAME mail relay IN CNAME mail smtp IN CNAME mail @ IN MX 10 mail
So what I wanted was to delegate everything to the All-Inkl nameservers (ns5/6.kasserver.com). Therefore I mentioned them as SOA and NS. However it seems like the Hetzner DNS directly responds to the requests.
The administration system of All-Inkl looks like the following for DNS:
nslookup from my windows client
>nslookup -type=A -debug w3.earechnung.at. ------------ ... ------------ Got answer: HEADER: opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR header flags: response, want recursion, recursion avail. questions = 1, answers = 1, authority records = 2, additional = 2 QUESTIONS: w3.earechnung.at, type = A, class = IN ANSWERS: -> w3.earechnung.at internet address = 188.8.131.52 ttl = 4933 (1 hour 22 mins 13 secs) AUTHORITY RECORDS: -> earechnung.at nameserver = ns5.kasserver.com ttl = 4608 (1 hour 16 mins 48 secs) -> earechnung.at nameserver = ns6.kasserver.com ttl = 4608 (1 hour 16 mins 48 secs) ADDITIONAL RECORDS: -> ns5.kasserver.com internet address = 184.108.40.206 ttl = 3758 (1 hour 2 mins 38 secs) -> ns6.kasserver.com internet address = 220.127.116.11 ttl = 2220 (37 mins) ------------ Nicht autorisierende Antwort: Name: w3.earechnung.at Address: 18.104.22.168
Tracing the DNS-file with simpledns.com outputs the following:
Tracing DNS delegation for "w3.earechnung.at":
Loading root server list (static data):
-> a.root-servers.net (22.214.171.124)
-> b.root-servers.net (126.96.36.199)
-> c.root-servers.net (188.8.131.52)
-> d.root-servers.net (184.108.40.206)
-> e.root-servers.net (220.127.116.11)
-> f.root-servers.net (18.104.22.168)
-> g.root-servers.net (22.214.171.124)
-> h.root-servers.net (126.96.36.199)
-> i.root-servers.net (188.8.131.52)
-> j.root-servers.net (184.108.40.206)
-> k.root-servers.net (220.127.116.11)
-> l.root-servers.net (18.104.22.168)
-> m.root-servers.net (22.214.171.124)
Sending request to "f.root-servers.net" (126.96.36.199)
Received referral response - DNS servers for "at":
-> r.ns.at (188.8.131.52)
-> d.ns.at (184.108.40.206)
-> ns9.univie.ac.at (220.127.116.11)
-> u.ns.at (18.104.22.168)
-> ns1.univie.ac.at (22.214.171.124)
-> n.ns.at (126.96.36.199)
-> j.ns.at (188.8.131.52)
-> ns2.univie.ac.at (184.108.40.206)
Sending request to "n.ns.at" (220.127.116.11)
Received referral response - DNS servers for "earechnung.at":
-> ns3.second-ns.de (no IP address)
-> ns.second-ns.com (no IP address)
-> ns1.your-server.de (no IP address)
Attempting to resolve DNS server name "ns1.your-server.de" (details not logged)
Resolved DNS server name "ns1.your-server.de" to IP address 18.104.22.168
Sending request to "ns1.your-server.de" (22.214.171.124)
Received authoritative (AA) response:
-> Answer: A-record for w3.earechnung.at = 126.96.36.199
-> Authority: NS-record for earechnung.at = ns5.kasserver.com
-> Authority: NS-record for earechnung.at = ns6.kasserver.com
Trace DNS Delegation for another domain name
My Questions now are:
- Is there a best practice for this scenario (domain with Hoster A, webspace with Hoster B)?
- Should I give the SOA to the Hetzner dns or all-inkl?
- Should I change the nameserver directly at nic.at?
- In my understanding I did not provide a glue record (A record) for ns5 and ns6.kasserver.com. Do I need one or is this done automatically?
- What if I want to use something like CloudFlare? How does the delegation between Hetzner, All-Inkl and Cloudflare works best?
- Which server actually responds to the request?
- If I query w3.earechnung.at which is entered on both dns servers, it seems to me like Hetzners ns1.your-server.de responds with an anauthoritive answer and states, that ns5.kasserver.com is authoritive). Am I right?
- If I query ai.earechnung.at which is only registered on All-Inkls dns server, I receive something like ai.earechnung.at. wurde von UnKnown nicht gefunden: Non-existent domain or server can't find ai.earechnung.at: NXDOMAIN
- I think I delegated the whole site to the all-inkl dns server. Is this correct or is there a better way? Do I have to setup every subdomain at the all-inkl server?
I also looked at the following questions, but could not find an answer (or at least did not understand it):