I've got a very strange problem with Windows Server 2008R2 and 2012
I have two (unconnected) locations where I have similar problems:
I had a working Windows AD domain in both locations with a WDS server running on the DHCP Server. After enabling VLANs I wasn't able to install any machines via PXE boot.
One Location has only Windows Server 2008 R2 servers and the other Windows Server 2012 (not R2)
The servers have been restarted a few times since I added the VLANs and I've tried reconfiguring DHCP and WDS in both locations.
The WDS Server starts without problems and using netstat -a I can see that they are listening on all interfaces but I always get one of two error messages:
Error scenario 1: When I let the DHCP server also be the WDS it says something about DHCP Proxy timeout
Error scenario 2: When I put the WDS on a different server in the same subnet and change DHCP options 66 and 67 accordingly the client boots and seems to get redirected but then says that the WDS didn't answer him (No response from Windows Deployment Services Server)
I feel I need to re-initialize the server because of the new virtual nics - but wouldn't know how.
In a third location I use Server 2008 R2 as well with 8 VLANs and have no problems whatsoever.
- The switches were not yet reconfigured so the VLANs are just on the Server for now
- PXE installs were working in both locations without problems before adding the VLANs
- I've tried all the solutions I could find like deleting the Mgmt folder, reconfiguring DHCP using command line and gui but nothing changed
- Not even the Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) can install anymore
- I've disabled every internal firewall in both locations
- The logs of the WDS don't show any errors. They see that someone requests something from the TFTP and it always tells me it was successful
- Everything else still wors as before (network printing, network shares, net logons, AD authentification, RADIUS authentification)
- Both locations have a Windows Server as router having NAT enabled.. could that be a problem?
- [UPDATE] I've created the VLANs on both servers with the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite 4
Am I missing something?