This question already has an answer here:
I have clients configured via GPO with the following settings enabled:
- Dynamic Update
- Primary DNS Suffix
- Register DNS records with connection-specific DNS suffix
- Register PTR Records: Register
I also have two DHCP servers that are servicing the clients performing updates to the DNS records using a configured user (which is part of the DNSUpdateProxy security group).
The following is currently occurring:
1) A records are updated by clients. ACLs look fine (the clients' computer objects have write access to their own records).
2) PTR records appear to be updated once by the configured DNSUpdateProxy user on the DHCP server(s). ACLs look fine (the clients' computer object has write access).
3) Client machines don't appear to be trying to update the PTR records (although I've not pcaped anything yet); I say this because there are no errors logged by Dnsapi after
So, what is going on here? If I enable scavenging, the PTR records will be deleted as their timestamps are all from way back when they were originally registered.