We have a monitoring tool (Solarwinds Orion) that needs to connect to a 2-node failover SQL Server Cluster. For reasons outside of our control -- we cannot monitor the CLUSTER IP directly at this time, so we have fallen back to monitoring each cluster node IP directly. This is not working. Upon troubleshooting, we tried to test that the cluster node was listening on the proper (fixed) port by using telnet to the cluster node IP/port -- and the telnet failed. However, telnet'ing to the Cluster IP/Port was SUCCESSFUL!
- Each node has its own IP.
- Each node is listening on the identical FIXED port.
- Each node has Dynamic Ports disabled.
- Each node can be PINGED successfully from the monitoring tool.
- Windows Firewall is DISABLED.
How can I troubleshoot why I cannot telnet to the listening port on the cluster nodes?