This is a very noob question, and since I never really understood it, I would like an explanation:
- What is Thin (or Passenger or other alternative)?
- What is the purpose of Thin (or other alternative)?
- Why do I need Thin (or other alt.) with Apache (or Nginx or other alternative)?
- Can Thin (or other alt.) be used without Apache (or other alt.)?
- What are the differences between Thin (or other alt.) and Apache (or other alt.)?
At the moment, my current (limited and possibly mistaken) understanding of the problem is....Apache is a http web server (that acts like a reverse proxy in this case(?)) and Thin is a ruby web app server. Why they are what they are and how they work somewhat evades me.
Wording can be very confusing (e.g. web server vs. web app server, among others... (sort of like how "host" or "hostname" can be very confusing)) around the internet as well. Where can I go to develop my "minimal understanding of the problem being solved", if all the reading material I find online is not very clear to me?