I am trying to set up a wildcard entry in MS DNS Server (on Windows Server 2008 within Active Directory) so that requests for all subdomains resolve to the same IP address. For example:
name1.my.subd.plop.com >>> 192.168.255.4
name2.my.subd.plop.com >>> 192.168.255.4
anythingyouwant.my.subd.plop.com >>> 192.168.255.4
I believe this should be simple but simply cant get it to work! I have tried two options, A records and CNAME records.
The A record in the plop.com domain is simply:
*.my.subd A 192.168.255.25
When I use nslookup to resolve a domain it doesn't report an error OR an IP address. Dig output:
; <<>> DiG 9.10-P2 <<>> anything.my.subd.plop.com ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 55062 ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1 ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION: ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1280 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;anything.my.subd.plop.com. IN A ;; AUTHORITY SECTION: plop.com. 3600 IN SOA dns1.plop.com. admin.plop.com. 2012291129 900 600 86400 900 ;; Query time: 2 msec ;; SERVER: 192.168.255.10#53(192.168.255.10) ;; WHEN: Wed Jul 23 16:42:31 GMT Summer Time 2014 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 113
From a client command prompt PING it simply fails:
C:\Users\myusername>ping anything.my.subd.plop.com Ping request could not find host anything.my.subd.plop.com. Please check the name and try again.
If I use a CNAME entry with an "*" nslookup reports the correct IP address but the client PING fails in the same way as above.
I am hoping this is a simple error that someone can help with, I dont mind looking silly if I can get it working, it is driving me nuts!!
I have created a new zone on my DNS server and added a similar wildcard entry. This works as expected.
I have changed my zone from a Primary Zone to an Active Directory - Integrated Primary which has had no impact on the response.
I added a wilcard A record (*) at the "root" level (i.e. *.plop.com) and this also fails in the same way.