I've been having some problems with a Samba share that I recently set up.
The share's configuration is as follows:
[data] path = /media/data available = yes valid users = admin read only = no browseable = yes public = yes writable = yes
I have been able to access the share on both Linux and OS X through
smbclient, but on Windows I get a "cannot access" error (0x80070002, system cannot find the file specified).
The syntax I'm using on Windows is
\\<server-ip>\media\data doesn't work either.
Update: I managed to compile Samba on Windows via Cygwin and got
smbclient working under it, but I still cannot connect to the share through the native client on Windows.
Update 2: Partial breakthrough! The problem was with a registry key,
ProviderOrder, used by Windows to determine which SMB client to use. Mine had been slightly changed by a previous experiment with NFS. To fix it, I set
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order\ProviderOrder to the following:
vmhgfs,hgfs,LanmanWorkstation,RDPNP. That got me as far as the login prompt, after which I got another error, 0x800704cf.
Update 3: Success! The component at fault here was my adapter's 'Client for Microsoft Networks' package. Once installed, all I had to do was reset the adapter and my share connected seamlessly.