We use WDS to image and reimage (refresh) computers (WDS only, no MDT). A technician can PXE boot to WDS and essentially lite touch the image.
What is the best way to achieve this from a remote location on a PC that already runs Windows 7, without using PXE boot if we want to avoid a human visiting each machine?
- I have various methods of remotely invoking scripts/programs on a PC whether someone is logged in or not.
- We have a WIM image already to go.
- We have a custom WinPE image, which we can add any kind of scripting to get the job done.
I am thinking of the following:
- Deploy WinPE boot/source files to computer from remote location.
- Invoke script to modify BCD to modify the Boot Loader to point to the WinPE boot (Note, if this will not work directly I could potentially shrink the disk, create a new partition, copy the WinPE stuff to the partition and then modify BCD to point to that).
- Reboot and machine will boot to WinPE which will have a ZTI style script to do the imaging work.
How does this sound? Have you done it a different way? Is there already a way out there?