I have machines EXTERNAL and INTERNAL (lets call them EXT and INT). Both machines are not part of AD (no network accounts, only local ones) and both machines have Administrator accounts using different credentials (hence forget about pass-thru).
Now what I did is following
- Created directory C:\shareme on INT
- Shared this directory for all administrator accounts
- Opened explorer on EXT and typed \INT\shareme
- Entered credentials of the INT account (INT\Admin and password), all good, I see contents
- here comes the problem...
- Opened IIS on EXT, clicked Add virtual directory
- alias: remote, physical path: \\INT\shareme, Connect as: Specific user, Username: INT\Admin + password
- Test settings fails, it says
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password
- I can explore in IIS but it's only because I authenticated already in windows explorer
http://localhost/remotereturns error 500.19
Apparently IIS won't care for network credentials. It whines about unknown user name because it probably checks accounts on local machine instead of authenticating with the remote one.
Changing logonMethod doesn't help (Interactive, ClearText etc) Any ideas?