I have a trusted third party's root certificate. I install this to the 'Trusted Root Certification Authorities' certificate store in Windows Server 2008, but it disappears from the certificate store at unknown times.
What could be causing this?
- The certificate has not expired
- It doesn't appear to have been revoked
I can't see any relevant event logs around the times of incidents
- It happens on my dev machine, test environments and production servers
- The production servers are not on a domain, just a workgroup (hosted in Rackspace)
- Querying group policy (gpresult /h foo.html) doesn't report that I'm prevented from trusting 3rd party root CA's
I'm using the following code in a c# command line app to install the cert:
X509Certificate2 certificate = new X509Certificate2("trusted-root-cert.cer"); X509Store store = new X509Store(StoreName.AuthRoot, StoreLocation.LocalMachine); store.Open(OpenFlags.ReadWrite); store.Add(certificate); store.Close();
The certificate installation code happens to run every time I release a change to my application. I don't see how this could do any harm but it's worth mentioning.
There might be something wrong about the way I'm installing the certificate. What is the preferred way of installing?