I have a VMWare Workstation running 4 virtual machines.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 domain controller.
- Also WS2012 R2, "WS1", to be a part of a cluster.
- "WS2", sysprepped from "WS1".
- FreeNAS (also tried NAS4Free, which is nicer) with an iSCSI target running.
My goal is to create a cluster and play with SQL Server on it.
- Added this FreeNAS drive to drives at "WS1" using iSCSI initiator tool.
- Formatted it and assigned a drive letter, then put offline.
- Then I also added the drive on "WS2". After having been put online there, it already gets a drive letter and shows itself as formatted.
- Next I put it offline.
So the drive is there on both machines and is offline.
But then I try to create a cluster and no matter what I do, this drive doesn't show up in Storages. Sometimes I get the warning about drive being unavailable and a suggestion to run
Clear-ClusterDiskReservation. Even if I do, the tests later just say
Also, later the drive can't be used on WS1 and WS2. It just shows up as RAW after being put online on any of the servers. This seems to be fixable only by restart of the FreeNAS server.
So, what do I do to make the whole thing work? I've tried these tutorials, but there everything unfortunately goes smoothly.