I am a newbie on LVM management trying to learn how to create new logical volumes.
This is what I understand on how to do it:
(Just want to make sure I understand it correct.)
- create partitions on a new disk
- format them (or I do not need to?)
- create new physical volumes on the disk
- add physical volumes to a new or an existing volume group
- create new logical volumes based on free space of volume group
- format logical volumes
Here are my question:
When and why do I want to create multiple partitions on one disk?
I understand I need to create separate boot partition, but that's about it, isn' it?
When and why do I want to create multiple physical volumes on one disk?
How come boot partition does not need to be a physical volume?
When and why do I want to create new volumes groups?
One volume group seems working for me.