i just graduated from a CS bachelor so while i'm familiar with networking, i never deployed an actual "business" network before, and i was just asked to provide wifi guess access to a 16-floors building. The most important perks i have to deliver are a captive portal and the ability to roam in the whole building. Each floor has ~23 rooms, so on the worst case scenario i expect 1500 concurrent users. The internet connection is not my business, they will provide it and give me access to it.
About the configuration:
- Each floor will have 4 Access Points. I'm thinking of using Dlink 6600AP. (~ 70 APs in total)
- There will be one switch every 3 floors which the APs will use to connect to the ground floor. I'm thinking of using MikroTik CRS226-24G-2S+RM
- On the ground floor there will be:
- a switch that will be connected to the other switches distributed on the other floors via optic fiber
- An Access Gateway Controller combined to an appliance which will provide the captive portal funcionality/syslog/radius server. I'm thinking of using a MikroTik routerboard RB1100ahx2 configured as hotspot. The routerboard should be the DHCP server.
- 2 Dlink DWS-3160 (Wireless Controller) to manage the APs
I'd like to keep everything on the same subnet (a /16).
Now some questions:
- Will the routerboard handle 1500 concurrent users? One person i spoke to strongly suggested to use 3 RB1100ahx2 instead of just 1, everyone of them setup as an Hotspot. Wouldn't that mean that i should segment the network into 3 subnets?Doesn't that give problems when roaming (both because of different subnets and because connecting to a different hotspot, even if configured in the same manner)?
- If i use 3 routerboards, can i do it without splitting up into 3 subnets?If yes, how?
- In case i use a single subnet, is setting up the same SSID and Authentication enough to enable roaming?