At first sight, it seems that
SRV records serve the same purpose.
- Point a client to the name of the host the server is on
- Support prioritizing/fallback
I'm aware that
RFC2782), but in a modern context,
MX just seems like a specialization of
SRV for email.
- Could MX conceivably be deprecated in favor of
SRV, retaining all functionality?
- If so, is there any initiative in this direction?
- Would there be any advantage to using SRV (besides consistency)?
After a bit of investigation, it seems that there are SMTP servers that use