A client of mine recently got a new Windows 2012 server to replace an old Windows XP Professional computer we were using as a file server. Everything appeared to be copying fine, I stored a log file of the copy and I watched the new share populate from a desktop computer and also from the server in the proper folder. When I came back the next morning the share is empty. The log file said it completed with 0 errors. All the files copied are no longer in the share and are not stored in the root of E:\ on the new server.
Here are the steps I took to copy: I basically plugged the new server into the network, setup a share. The old server was still connected to the network.
Old server's share is \\old-server\old-server-files which is stored in a folder called C:\old-server-files
New server's share was \\new-server\new-server-files which is stored in a folder called E:\new-server-files
I used the following Robocopy command from the new server command prompt:
Robocopy \\old-server\old-server-files \\new-server\new-server-files /MiR /FFT /Z /W:5 /LOG:E:\server-copy.log
I slowly watch the share populate from a Desktop computer. The copy took about 12 hours over a giga-bit ethernet connection. The next morning I come in, none of the files are in the \\new-server\new-server-files share while looking from the desktop computer. While looking from the server, the share is empty and the folder E:\new-server-files is empty. The root of E:\ has the files now instead of the share.
I don't understand how this happened. Could someone explain where I might have gone wrong. I can post the server-copy.log I had robocopy create, but I looked at it and it says it copied to the share. It is 37 megs though, so I'd have to find somewhere to put it.