I am working with a new client who has 5 offices and four of which have a single domain controller with the name of OFFICE.LOCAL and another one with the domain controller DENTAL.LOCAL. Oh and all of the servers are named SERVER as well.
My goal would be to have all locations under the same forest (as shown below) and make each location’s server a member server under a Primary Domain Controller.
COMPANY.com -DivisionNameA.corp.com -DivisionNameB.corp.com -DivisionNameC.corp.com -DivisionNameD.crop.com -DivisionNameE.corp.com
My thought is that I would need to do the following:
- Rename the domain of the site that houses the new Primary Domain Controller (DC) to ad.corp.com.
- Rename all of the other remote domains to have unique domains such as DivisionNameA.local
- Create a trust between ad.corp.com and all of the remote domains
- Use ADMT to migrate all of the domain objects from each of the remote domains to ad.corp.com.
- Demote each of the remote DCs.
- Am I going about this the right way? Or is there a better way?
- By doing this would I then have to rejoin all of the workstations (20+ per location) to the new DC?
- Is there a way to do this without having to rejoin all of the workstations to the new DC?