I have a physical Ubuntu server (see some of the specs here), with Apache 2.4.7, PHP 5.5.9, mysql 14.14, mysqlite and Yii framework 1.16 installed. The server performs amazingly at first, but suddenly, given enough stress it starts to time out (80+ request/sec). At no time is any of the system resources anywhere near being capped. CPU is only up to 25%.
In the Apache error log I found the following:
server reached MaxRequestWorkers setting, consider raising the MaxRequestWorkers setting
Should I just increase that number as it says, or am I only fixing a side-effect of the problem here?
Furthermore I am not fully understanding the documentation. In the section about MaxRequestWorkers it also ties it together with the ServerLimit setting, but I am not quite sure what the two are supposed to be set to, in order to work together properly.
Other technical details that migth be of use:
- I have disabled .htaccess files and configured the mod_rewrite through apache config instead.
Apache also gives the following warning, which om uncertain if it is important or not:
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
It is the only website installed on the server.
- Performance charts made at the time were load were the highest: