A PC running Windows 7 can't access a file share in Windows Server 2008 by name (
\\servername), but can access it by IP address (
\\serverip). I get the error (
Network path was not found). Also, all other PCs can access that server's shares by name just fine.
I had this problem before, but with different client PCs, and that seemed to be solved by restarting the server; this one seems like a permanent issue.
- They're both in the same domain
- The server is not a DC in this domain
- They both use the same DNS server; the server is not a DNS server
Things I've tried:
- Pinging the server by name; name resolution seems to work fine
- Accessing the server by its FQDN (
\\servername.domain.com); that fails too
- Deactivating both firewalls
I'm not sure what to try next.