1

Environment is VMware 4.1, 2 ESXi servers with a iSCSI 6TB datastore with 1.5TB free. ~30 VMs, small load, VMs working well.

On the datastore I have an ISOs folder. Typically, I can upload new ISOs there that VMs can mount. Today I have a problem uploading a new ISO. The "Uploading..." dialog pops up, hangs for a while, and then the "I/O Error Occurred" displays. I have tried this with 2 ISOs, one 4GB and another 600MB. The ISOs are on the desktop of a standalone 2008 R2 server that I use for a few things, including Veeam backups and vCenter server.

I then tried the opposite, downloading a small floppy image from the same folder, to my desktop. It drew the file on the desktop in preparation of downloading, but then errored out with the same "I/o error occurred".

I logged out of vCenter client, back in - still failed. I logged out of my personal login to vCenter and back in as administrator, still failed. I rebooted the server and logged in as administrator, still failed.

Search pulled up a thread with similar behavior. I checked, my HP DL360G5 with Broadcom GigE NICs are set to Auto. "I/O Error Occurred" in vSphere Client working with ESXi I changed the Broadcom NIC's setting from Auto to Gbps, relogged into vCenter client - and no change.

Anyone have any advice?

Followup: I was able to delete a large unneeded ISO freeing up an additional 7GB. I re-attempted uploading the 600MB ISO with the same lack of success - I/O error occurred.

| improve this question | | | | |
  • 1
    4.1? taps watch it is 2015 right? – Chopper3 Apr 24 '15 at 16:23
  • ha! It's a US based manufacturer. How many of those are there left in 2015? The DL360 G6 is considered new server equipment here. :) Sometimes you got to work with what you have got - and it does the trick. While I found your reply very funny, do you have anything helpful to add? – Eric Apr 24 '15 at 18:27
  • not really, I used 4.1 at the time and copying files into and out of datastore remains an issue even with 5.5 but it's usually one that rebooting your vCenter can fix - I'd try that, or adding a new temporary datastore to see if it's that datastore or any datastore that's the problem. Also try attaching to the host directly copying that way - that's all I can think of right now sorry. – Chopper3 Apr 24 '15 at 18:55
  • Chopper, you really helped. I was able to connect directly to the host from vCenter and make the proper transfers. With that working, I made a conclusion that vCenter was broken in some way - and reinstalled it. It is properly working. Thanks for the idea that led to the solution. – Eric Apr 30 '15 at 21:00
  • Glad you're happy now – Chopper3 May 1 '15 at 5:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.