I'm attempting to remotely administer a set of Dell blade servers: PE M600 and M605 with iDRAC5.
On my Windows 8.1 laptop I installed DRAC Tools v7.3. I can successfully remotely manage the M1000e CMC, as well as some non-blade servers (that have iDRAC 7 Enterprise), via
racadm -r <ip or hostname> -u <username> -p <password> <command> <args>, e.g.:
C:\> racadm -r cmc.example.com -u admin -p calvin getconfig -g cfgRacSecurity cfgRacSecCsrKeySize=1024 cfgRacSecCsrCommonName= cfgRacSecCsrOrganizationName= cfgRacSecCsrOrganizationUnit= cfgRacSecCsrLocalityName= cfgRacSecCsrStateName= cfgRacSecCsrCountryCode=US cfgRacSecCsrEmailAddr=
However, I cannot get any commands to work when attempting to administer any of the blades:
C:\> racadm -r blade0-idrac.example.com -u admin -p calvin getconfig -g cfgRacSecurity ERROR: Unable to connect to RAC at specified IP address.
Administering via the web GUI takes forever and is generally unreliable, it would be much easier to handle configurations via CLI, especially in bulk. I'd like to be able to administer the blades via RACADM remotely.
To help troubleshoot, things that are known:
- Blades are M600 and M605
- Enclosure is M1000e
- I can ping the blades (blade0-idrac.example.com in the example above) from the remote laptop.
- The blades' HTTPS web management is working and is accessible from the remote laptop.
- From the CMC (logging in via SSH/telnet/etc),
$ connect -m server-1starts the console session but never provides a prompt, i.e. it is stuck at
Connected to server-1. Escape character is '^\'.
- SSH into the blades works just fine, I am presented with SMASH-CLP (really don't want to use this)
- CMC firmware is at version 5.00.A00
- Blade iDRAC firmware is at version 1.65 Build 1