I want to have a following setup on Google Compute Engine.
- HTTPS load balancing which terminates HTTPS
- Backend services are plain HTTP
- Backend services are not visible to internet
My understanding is following.
- Load balancing is a service outside compute engine networks
- Firewall needs to be opened so that load balancer can forward requests to backend service instances.
Basically I want a setup where HTTP traffic is only allowed from load balancer and internet traffic is blocked. Does this make sense and is it possible?
Disclaimer: I know that having HTTPS all the way is a better option for security.