There's another interesting issue regarding Microsoft Outlook (Office 365 / 2013), Exchange 2013 SP1 and Active Directory. On a freshly installed Windows 7 x64 Professional computer I installed Microsoft Office 365 and tried to connect to our local Exchange 2013 Server. Suddenly the following error appears:
"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. You must connect to Microsoft Exchange with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your Outlook data file (.ost)."
Regarding to the office support sites (https://support.office.com/en-za/article/I-can-t-start-Microsoft-Outlook-2010-or-2013-or-receive-the-error-Cannot-start-Microsoft-Office-Outlook-Cannot-open-the-Outlook-Window--d1f69da6-b333-4650-97bf-4d77bd7abb85), the problem should be resolved as follows:
- Run outlook in safe mode --> same error
- Create a new user profile in Outlook: Control Panel --> Mail --> Profiles: Deleted the old profile, created a new one. Account was created successfully, but Outlook won't start. Same error.
- Run outlook.exe /resetnavpane --> same error
- Repair Outlook Data files using scanpst.exe --> the application doesn't even start. It appears in task manager for a short time and then disappears again. When trying to open the .ost-File with scanpst.exe it opens. After the start of the repair process an error appears saying, that Outlook does not recognize the ost-file.
Some more attempts:
Creating another datafile and trying to switch the file in the email account. The data file cannot be switched because the "Browse"-Button is grey. Even though the newly created datafile is set as default. When set as default Outlook starts, but does not get emails in the new datafile. Other mailboxes also cannot be added.
Another interesting fact is that this problem only occurs when I'm logged in with a specific user. Other users on this computer can access their mailboxes through outlook without any problems.
//Edit 2015-07-14 16:27 I also tried to open outlook on another computer with the same user. The problem seems to be pretty much the user.