I have created a Virtual Network on Azure and have created two VM's within the Virtual network, with IP's 10.0.0.4 and 10.0.0.5. I have added Active Directory role to a one of the VM's and promoted it to Domain Controller role. I am trying to the other VM to the existing domain (mydomain.com) but I get an error stating that the "AD Domain Controller could not be contacted". What may be the cause of this? I checked that the Gateway and Subnet mask of the two servers match.
You control DNS for the network in network settings.
- Make sure your DC has a static internal ip address so that it doesn't aquire a new ip address upn reboot
- In the virtual network settings in the azure portal (you need to do this using manage.windowsazure.com afaik) configure the vnet's DNS to point to your DC's static internal ip address
- Reboot your to-be-member server. Running ipconfig on it should confirm that it now uses the DC as its DNS server and you shoulw be able to go ahead and join it to the domain.
- For some reason external domains resolve a bit fishy when set up like this, so it's a good idea to set up a forwarder on your DC's DNS server to point to some well-known public dns such as 22.214.171.124 for instance.
Do not adjust the DNS or DHCP properties of your VMs in Azure. You just need to make sure that the virtual network you created in Azure has your internal IP address of the domain controller listed. In this case, 10.0.0.4. This way your second machine can located the first DC to join the domain.
From that point on, your DC will be responsible for resolving all DNS requests, just like it would have to do on an on-prem network.
- Please make sure you dont make any changes to IP/DNS records inside VM. If you do you will not longer be able to RDP to the machine and have to re-built it.
- Solution is very simple. Go to AZURE portal and select the VNET to which the CLIENT(END POINTS) belongs. Go to DNS and change it from Microsoft DNS to Custom and put the IP of the Domain controller.
- save the settings and reboot the machine in that VNET. 4.Try to add to the domain again and it will work.