Windows Update says:
Windows could not search for new updates.
Error code is 80248014. What this error code means and how to resolve this issue?
wuerror.h I can find that
// // MessageId: WU_E_DS_UNKNOWNSERVICE // // MessageText: // // An operation did not complete because the service is not in the data store. // #define WU_E_DS_UNKNOWNSERVICE _HRESULT_TYPEDEF_(0x80248014L)
stop the Windows Update service, rename the folder
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old, now check for Updates again. This sometime solves such strange errors.
I recently ran into a similar problem. After employing a similar fix to the one mentioned by magicandre with no success, I discovered that something was amiss with DNS. I was trying to browse a website from the affected machine and the default IIS entry kept coming up. So, I changed my DNS servers in my network adapter to use Google's public DNS servers, cleared my DNS cache, and was able to check for updates.
Short version, if it's still a problem, it could be DNS related.