Consider, for example, an application server and a storage server.
- Both servers run services which needs to be accessed by everyone, so they are connected to the "public" network
- The application server has high IO on the storage server, therefore a dedicated, second network connected just the two of them.
- Both machines are Windows
- the same machine can be reached via two network interfaces
- the connection is made by machine name rather than IP address
Which connection will Windows use?
Bonus question: what if a machine is connected to two separate networks, and two servers with the same name exists on both of them respectively?