Learning linux skills...please be patient!
I have found lots of tutorials on installing a cert for a single site but not a default.
I have a wildcard cert for my domain. I had support install this cert installed on a server. Since I am learning linux server skills I want to install this on a Debian server with Apache. I want it to be the default ssl cert for all sites regardless of domain name unless they have their own ssl cert.
The place where I bought the cert has text that I can copy and paste for:
- Server Certificate
- Intermediate Certificate
- Root Certificate
I have found the
sites-available folders with various files. I have also found the ssl cert folder.
I am finding different tutorials that have terms like private key, SSL cert, intermediate cert, etc. It seems that there are a few terms that are used interchangeably.
I think the process is:
- Create files (keys/certs) with a certain owner and permission in the certs folder.
- Edit default site configuration data in either the
sites-enabledfolders or both.
- Restart Apache.
- Are my steps above correct?
- What sections of my cert correspond to what file names in the certs folder?
- What do I add for a default ssl virtual host? Does this go in the
sites-enabledfolder or both?
I realize that I don't know some things...What else do I need to know?
PS. ISPConfig is installed on this server but there does not seem to be a place to do what I want to do. I will eventually want to know how to create a site specific ssl cert as well.