Before I go to the main question, I'll explain the current situation:
- My current employer uses VMware vCenter to run a fully operational, virtual environment (mostly domain controllers and RDP servers).
- vCenter itself is installed on a physical server where the VMs are deployed.
- The working environment has their own static subnet and VLANs.
The manager and I have agreed to create a new virtual server and client for test purposes, so we can test new software before trying to implement it within the company.
My question is: Is it possible to run a test environment next to the working environment?
The test environment would run the following software:
- Windows Server 2016 with Active Directory installed.
- DHCP and DNS services.
- Remote Desktop services, so I can log in remotely.
- Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 client which will be connected to the Windows Server 2016.
I have already thought about possible IP conflicts I might run into and that it might be better to isolate the test environment from the existing VMs.
If there are more things to take in consideration, then please let me know.